2014 Boykin Spaniel Society National Field Trial
A Boykin Homecoming
Preliminary map for 2014 Spring National.
Pull this link up on your smart phone it will be interactive with your phones mapping software.
- The 2014 Boykin Spaniel Society National Field Trial has been set for April 10 thru April 13 in beautiful downtown Boykin SC. Activities begin on Thursday with the arrival of the judges and volunteer workers. Handlers arriving Thursday may check in at the E. Clarkson Rhame Memorial Arena so as to beat the long line on Friday morning. The Rhame Arena is located at 416 Broad Street, Camden SC, right next to the historic Camden Revolutionary War site. If you have an auction item to be donated please give it to one of the committee members on Thursday when you arrive so that it may be cataloged and readied for presentation in the silent or live auction.
- If you are not coming in until Friday or Saturday, come on into the little town of Boykin SC. You will easily find our field headquarters across from the Historic Boykin Mill. Our headquarters will be staked out with plenty of signs to get you where you want to be.
- The Boykin Spaniel Foundation (BSF) will once again be sponsoring free eye C.E.R.F. and Heart clinics as well as other genetic testing on Thursday afternoon. Check in at the Rhame Arena for these also. Remember only one Boykin Spaniel per household qualify for the free clinics. If you have more than one dog and wish to have them evaluated then you may do so at the cost the BSF pays to the participating vets.
- The annual members meeting and board of directors meeting will begin at 4:00 pm at the Rhame Arena. Please try to attend the meeting if possible as this is a wonderful opportunity to meet your board members and stay abreast first hand of some of the issues being addressed by the board.
- As you can see we have a lot planned for Thursday, but we have one more thing for your enjoyment. It is our 6th Annual "Knock the Dust Off" oyster roast with all proceeds after costs going to the benefit of the Boykin Spaniel Foundation. Tickets are $45 for all the steamed oysters you can eat! We also have other assorted southern specialties for those who have not made friends with the oyster. This has been a really fun event and is a great way to get you ready for the rest of the weekend. It is here that the weekend really starts and many old friends meet and enjoy the smoky goodness of oysters along with a chilled glass of wine. This year's oyster roast will be hosted at Rosa Lee's Cottage in Boykin SC.
- All tests begin on FRIDAY morning. We will again utilize staggered starting times for each stake, with Novice beginning at 8:00 am, followed by Puppy, then Intermediate and finally Open. Please note that we will again host a mandatory handlers meeting Friday morning at 7:30am in the Rhame Arena. Any questions and last minuet changes will be addressed here. We will again ask handlers participating in more than one class to report first to Novice, sign up to run then move promptly to your next class. We shall have communications between Marshalls at each stake so that the progress of each stake may be monitored and handlers notified when they are needed at another stake. Testing for each class may be stopped at or around 5:30 PM on Friday and will resume first thing Saturday morning. The reason for this is to give everyone, especially our judges, ample time to clean up and be ready to relax at the Banquet on Friday night. Please remember that our judges are not paid and are voluntarily giving up a long weekend to judge our event. Please let them know how much you appreciate their involvement.
- This will be an action packed weekend with something for everyone. We will once again have the Duck Dog Shootout, Hot Dog Retrieve, Speed Dog, Children's Handling Stake and of course the ever popular Natural Ability stake. You may sign up for Natural Ability and the other fun stakes at the door, however you must pre-register for the Roustabout on Sunday as the bird order for both the Singles and Doubles flights shall have some margin for error, but not enough for walk up entries. Keep in mind that all Boykins can participate in these fun games and it is great to see our friends from Boykin Spaniel Rescue out taking advantage of that.
- Please make sure that you preregister for the banquet so that we are correct in our food order. We always plan for a few extras but the more accurate the count the better we all are. NEW THIS YEAR - Lunch will be catered in to Boykin SC. You must have a prepaid ticket in order to get lunch on site. Please plan accordingly. The grounds for the trial are spread throughout the Rembert and Boykin communities. This is a very rural area and lunch opportunities are limited.
- Friday evening highlights the BSS Nationals banquet and cocktail party. It is a once a year opportunity to gather with other Boykin owners and brag on your dog with folks that truly understand. We offer a fantastic meal along with auction opportunities to grab some one of a kind Boykin art, or that hunting/fishing trip you always wanted. If you're feeling lucky, the raffles are always fun and feature different hunting, dog gear and other miscellaneous items.
- We are recommending The Comfort Inn Suites as the official hotel of the BSS Nationals. The Comfort Inn Suites is just off I-20 at exit 98. This is hwy 521 in Camden SC. 803-425-1010 YOU MUST MENTION THE BOYKIN SPANIEL SOCIETY to get the reduced rate of $89 per night. It is a pet friendly hotel.
- Other hotel options include:
Ramada Inn, Lugoff SC 542 Highway 601 Lugoff, SC 803-438-1807 pet friendly
Colony Inn 2020 West DeKalb Street Camden, SC 800-356-9801 pet friendly
Econo Lodge Highway 601 I-20 exit 92 Lugoff, SC 855-873-6561
Holiday Inn Express 419 Sumter Highway, Camden, SC 888-465-4329 NOT pet friendly
- We are really looking forward to seeing old friends and making lots of new friends at this year's Boykin Homecoming. So, come, enjoy and good luck to everyone.
The Boykin Spaniel was first bred by South Carolina hunters during the 1900's to provide the ideal dog for hunting ducks and wild turkeys in the Wateree River Swamp. Hunters on South Carolina's Wateree River needed a small rugged dog compactly built for boat travel and able to retrieve on land and water.
The Boykin Spaniel Society
P. O. Box 2047
Camden, SC 29020